Updated as of July 21, 2022
Important: The following are the rules and other provisions of Miles on a Mission (the “Rules”). By participating in Miles on a Mission, participating “Charities” and “Donors” (each as defined below and collectively “Participants”) indicate their respective acceptance of these Rules and agree to abide by them. Participation in Miles on a Mission will be governed by these Rules and it is the Participant’s responsibility to read and understand all of them. These Rules cannot be superseded or changed, except in writing from United Airlines or any of its affiliates (collectively, "United"). The most current Rules may be found on united.com and this is the final authority on the Rules. The Rules on united.com shall be deemed to supersede any prior or conflicting versions thereof.
- In order for MileagePlus members’ donation to a charity to be matched by United, donations of miles must be made at donate.mileageplus.com and must be a minimum of 1,000 miles.
- Members will not receive any MileagePlus bonus award miles in connection with any matching donation made by United.
- Donations are non-refundable.
- This offer is not combinable with other offers.
- This is a limited time offer and is subject to change or cancellation without notice.
- You must be a MileagePlus® member before donating to participate. To join MileagePlus for free, go to united.com.
- Miles on a Mission is offered at the discretion of United and United has the right to terminate Miles on a Mission, in whole or in part, or to change the Rules, benefits, conditions of participation, in whole or in part, at any time, with or without notice. Terms used but not defined herein shall have the meaning assigned in the rules of United’s MileagePlus Program (“Program Rules”). All Program Rules apply to a Participant’s participation in Miles on a Mission.
- Donations of miles pursuant to Miles on a Mission may only be made to charities (and other nonprofits) (“Charities”, or individually a “Charity”) currently approved by United, in its sole discretion. Members who donate miles to Charities through Miles on a Mission are "Donors" and together with Charities are "Participants" for purpose of these Rules. Mileage donations are not tax deductible. Charities approved for Miles on a Mission can be found on the Miles on a Mission page of united.com.
- The Rules control your membership and participation in Miles on a Mission and no covenants at law or in equity shall be implied or incorporated, all of which are expressly disclaimed. United has the sole right to interpret and apply the Rules. Charities should not rely solely on Miles on a Mission to fund travel needs. IN NO EVENT SHALL UNITED BE LIABLE TO A PARTICIPANT, OR ANYONE ACTING ON THE PARTICIPANT’S BEHALF, FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, INCLUDING LOST REVENUE OR PROFITS, ARISING OUT OF THE ACTS OR OMISSIONS OF UNITED IN CONNECTION WITH MILES ON A MISSION, OR COSTS OR ATTORNEYS’ FEES. Any abuse of Miles on a Mission or failure to follow the Rules, the Program Rules, United’s Contract of Carriage, United’s fare rules, any violation of law, rule, or regulation, any conduct detrimental to the interests of United, any fraudulent activity or attempted fraudulent activity, or any misrepresentation of any information furnished to United or its affiliates by any Participant, anyone else acting on the Participant's behalf, or any third party (collectively, “Prohibited Conduct”), may result in United exercising any one or more of the following remedies (“United’s Remedies”), with or without notice to the Participant: (a) termination or suspension from Miles on a Mission, (b) exercising any of United’s Remedies under the Program Rules or United’s Contract Of Carriage, (c) the removal or cancellation by United of any or all accrued mileage, (d) the confiscation of any award tickets, denial of boarding with respect to any award ticket holders or, at United's discretion, completion of the travel only upon payment of an applicable revenue fare (and applicable taxes and fees), or (e) the loss of other Miles on a Mission benefits.
- Miles do not constitute property of the Participant and are not transferable except as set forth herein or otherwise permitted by United.
- All calculations made in connection with Miles on a Mission will be made by United in its discretion and such calculations will be considered final.
- Neither United’s waiver or consent to a deviation from the Rules nor any course of dealing shall be construed as a waiver by United of any subsequent violation of the Rules and United may invoke United’s Remedies for a violation of the Rules despite any such prior waiver or consent.
- All mileage donations are at your own risk. United does not make any representation or warranty about any Charity nor does United warrant that the mileage will be used for any particular purpose and is not responsible for any misuse thereof.
- Donors are not permitted to impose restrictions on the use of mileage by a Charity. To the extent that mileage is donated in response to an appeal for a particular Campaign (as defined below) or other program of a Charity, or to the extent that a Donor purports to direct the use of such mileage, any such directions shall constitute non-binding recommendations only.
- Each Donor agrees and acknowledges that all mileage donations to Charities are irrevocable and are made as unrestricted gifts.
- A Charity is responsible for ensuring that participation in Miles on a Mission complies with the applicable policies and practices of such Charity. Any act of the owners, directors, officers, employees, agents or contractors of a Charity who is not an individual shall be deemed to be an act of such Charity.
- A Charity may participate in Miles on a Mission by means of an authorized representative of the Charity who is an individual over the age of eighteen (18). The authorized representative of the Charity shall be the individual designated by the Charity as its primary contact. Requests for changes to a Charity’s account, such as a change of the authorized representative, will not be honored without the Charity satisfying United’s established requirements for account validation. Authorized representatives represent and warrant that they: (a) are the authorized representative of the Charity with the authority: (i) to solicit mileage donations for the Charity; and (ii) to bind the Charity to these Rules; and (b) are using the mileage donations only as described to United.
- Charity must also designate at least one (1) person (but not more than six (6) people; and all of whom must be at least eighteen (18) years of age) as the Charity’s authorized representative(s) to handle all other matters with respect to the administration of the Charity’s account, including without limitation the use and redemption of miles and the request for and issuance of award tickets.
- Each Charity is and shall be responsible for ensuring: (a) its authorized representatives record and maintain account information in such a manner so as to comply with the policies and practices of their organization; (b) report to United, upon United’s request, regarding the Charity’s use of miles (i.e., how used to further the mission of the Charity) and by what individuals and their roles; and (c) that United has the right to audit the Charity’s records solely as it relates to the Charity’s use of miles.
- United and its subsidiaries, affiliates and agents are not responsible for any products, services or activities of any Charity or of any of its subsidiaries, affiliates or agents.
- A Charity may not issue mileage awards to its volunteers or employees for recognition or incentive purposes, as opposed to wages or compensation for services.
- Miles obtained hereunder may not be used by a Charity for any form of commercial transaction, (e.g. reselling, transferring, bartering, exchanging or trading Miles) or other personal gain.
- Charity agrees to obtain releases from and for all individuals shown in any photograph(s) or videos provided to United sufficient for United to use the photograph(s) for any purpose including advertising and inclusion on United.com. The Charity hereby represents and warrants that it is the owner of the copyright in the photograph(s) or video(s) or has obtained all necessary rights to provide any photograph(s) or video(s) submitted to United and for United to copy, publish and display the photograph(s) or video(s), including in advertising, and (ii) the photograph(s) or video(s) and United’s use thereof, including in advertising, do not infringe upon or violate the copyrights, trademarks, rights of privacy, publicity or other intellectual property or other rights of any person or entity.
- Each Charity represents and warrants that: (a) it is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization or registered charity in good standing with a cause or activity that is legal under all applicable federal, state, provincial, territorial and local laws and regulations; and (b) all donated mileage will be used solely for the purpose stated to United and under no circumstances will the miles be used for any other purpose.
- United may, from time to time, use a third party to vet a Charity and shall not be responsible for the nature or quality of any services provided by such third parties nor for any other acts or omissions by such third parties.
- Charity is and shall be responsible for ensuring that:
- such Charity is not named for, or established, maintained, financed or controlled by any one or more federal officials1;
- such Charity does not have any elected or appointed government officials that serve on Charity’s Board of Directors or Board of Trustees;
- United’s support to such Charity does not, and will not, directly or indirectly benefit a federal, state or local public official;
- United’s support to such Charity will not be used in any way that is directly or indirectly prohibited under applicable federal, state, or local law (including, without limitation, any activity engaged in through direct expenditures by such Charity or through arrangements with third parties; and
- United’s support to such Charity will not be used to pay for any expenses or events that violate applicable gift and entertainment laws and regulations for foreign, federal, state, or local officials.
- United may in its discretion approve a Charity (other than those listed on united.com as Miles on a Mission Charities) to receive miles from Donors for a specific charitable purpose (a "Campaign").
- To become a United-approved Charity for a Campaign, a Charity must submit a completed application form to United. In the application form, the Charity may be asked to identify certain details about its Campaign, including but not limited to, (a) its proposed charitable purpose for the miles; (b) its proposed minimum goal (subject to a minimum and maximum goal set by United from time to time) and (c) its proposed duration for fundraising and use of such miles (each of which may be limited by United in its sole discretion).
- United reserves the right to limit the aggregate number of active Campaigns (and the number of Campaigns that are wait-listed by United), and to change such limit(s) from time to time, with or without notice. United also reserves the right, in its sole and absolute discretion, to make its own donations of miles to any Campaign(s).
- If a Charity’s approved Campaign launches and meets its goal for its Campaign, United will transfer the miles to the Charity. United will not notify the Charity of the names or other personal identifying information of the Donors. If a Donor wishes to have their respective name and designated email contact information provided by United to the Charity, the Donor will be able to make an election to do so, and if a Donor makes such election then the Charity will notify the Donor of news of the Charity Campaign and use of such donated miles. If the Donor does not elect to have their respective name and designated email contact information provided by United to the Charity, then the Charity will have no obligation to notify the Donor of news of the Charity Campaign and use of such donated miles.
- If a Charity’s approved Campaign launches but fails to meet its goal for its Campaign, United will (a) notify the Charity of such news, (b) notify each Donor who had pledged to donate of such news, and (c) return the miles to the Donors who had pledged to donate to such Campaign.
United shall establish the amount, structure, availability, process and other criteria for mileage redemption (including the amount of mileage necessary to redeem each award), all of which are subject to modification, cancellation or limitation at United’s discretion, with or without notice, and all Program Rules related to redemption shall apply to Miles on a Mission. Awards may, at the request of the Charity, be issued by MileagePlus in the name and for the use of any person only for non-commercial purposes. Such awards will be issued only after a Charity validates their account via use of a password or other security measures that United has in place at the time of the award request.
Participation in Miles on a Mission may be prohibited or restricted by the laws in some non-U.S. countries. Nothing in these Rules should be read to override or circumvent any such non-U.S. laws. United may exercise any one or more of United’s Remedies, with or without notice to the Participant, in the event Miles on a Mission, or participation in any way in the Program, violates non-U.S. laws.
1 "Federal Official" includes Members and Staff of the U.S. Congress; the President and Vice President; those who work at the White House or Executive Office of the President (and its agencies); employees of other Executive Branch agencies who are essentially Schedule C political appointees and above; and, for the uniformed services, one-star generals, admirals, and above.